Planning a school field trip? Consider riding Big Blue Bus! BBB provides easy access to destinations across the Westside and in Downtown Los Angeles. We go where you want to go-museums, UCLA, beaches, and more.
To avoid delays in service, BBB welcomes school groups of 25 or fewer during off-peak hours. Here's how to get started:
- Contact us first. Before you bring a school group on board, please contact BBB by calling (310) 451-5444. This will allow us to help you with trip planning and payment options.
- For safety reasons, at least one adult must accompany every 10-12 children. On every bus your group boards, there must be at least one adult who is an experienced transit user.
- Please have your payment ready prior to boarding. Plan on paying for multiple fares using one of the acceptable forms of payment below:
- Cash: Exact change only. Bills and coins are accepted.
- Paper 13-Rides Pass: The pass can be purchased in advance at the Transit Store*, and is valid for 13 one-way trips on Big Blue Bus. When boarding the bus, simply swipe the pass at the farebox once for each passenger.
- TAP: Big Blue Bus accepts TAP cards. Please note that every member of your group must have their own TAP card in order to board the bus; a single TAP card can only be used once every 7-minutes. When boarding the bus, simply tap your card on the validator and look for the green screen to verify that your card is valid.
Note: Big Blue Bus does not accept Metro youth monthly passes as a valid form of payment.
*We're moving! Beginning Monday, March 27 2017, you can visit us at 1334 5th St., Santa Monica
- Take Advantage Of Online Trip Planning. You can use Google Maps for transit directions too. Big Blue Bus and most other transit operators in the Los Angeles area are on Google Maps.
- Big Blue Bus has real-time bus arrival information. When you get to your bus stop, you'll be able to track the predicted arrival time for your bus. Big Blue Bus is now on NextBus, which allows riders to access predictions by phone, text message, smartphone app or a website. Just look for the NextBus stop ID and instructions on a sign at your stop. Some riders also like accessing our arrival information through one of several third-party applications on their smartphones such as Transit App and Moovit.
- Be prepared to split up if your group is larger than 20-25 people. We welcome groups to ride Big Blue Bus, but strongly encourage you to split up if your group is larger than 20-25 people. We also encourage groups to ride during off-peak times (weekdays from 9am-3pm or after 7pm, as well as weekends and holidays). Please note that bus schedules can vary on weekends and holidays. We ask groups to travel off-peak to ensure that there is adequate space for our regular customers. Big Blue Bus is not able to add extra service to accommodate special groups, so please be sure to ride off-peak to ensure that your group does not displace others. We do not offer charter bus service for groups.
- Review our tips and code of conduct with your group, especially if they are infrequent riders.
- Go on a Practice Trip. If you're leading a large group and are unfamiliar with your itinerary, you may wish to take a practice run to help make your field trip day less stressful. If questions arise during your practice trip, please don't hesitate to contact us on Facebook, Twitter (@SMBigBlueBus), via our website, or by phone at (310) 451-5444.