Hey, college students – here’s how to save money riding Big Blue Bus!
Quarterly BruinGO! Flash Pass now on TAP U-Pass*
Beginning July 1, 2019, the BruinGo! Flash Pass will be replaced by a quarterly U-Pass on TAP. U-Pass allows UCLA students, faculty and staff unlimited travel on any Big Blue Bus (BBB) or Culver CityBus for an entire academic quarter for the low cost of $45 for students and $55 for faculty and staff.
The TAP U-Pass is sold by UCLA Transportation online
or in person by visiting the Central Ticket Office
UCLA students, faculty and staff who ride occasionally can still receive a discounted rate on BBB, by loading a "UCLA Co-Pay Pass" on their TAP card. The Co-Pay Pass on TAP can only be loaded by UCLA Transportation either online or in person by visiting the Central Ticket Office.
Before you use your Co-Pay Pass, you will need to load Stored Value (works like cash) on your TAP card. Stored Value can be loaded at the locations noted above, as well as any TAP vendor location or ticket vending machine (typically located at Metro Rail stations), or by calling 1-866-TAPTOGO.
When riding BBB, tap your card and $0.70 in Stored Value will be automatically deducted. Students, faculty, and staff using the Co-Pay Pass do not need to present a UCLA ID to board BBB.
Please note: The $0.80 cash co-pay option was discontinued on November 1, 2019.
*Includes Senior Students ages 62+.
Visit UCLA Transportation
for all the details.
Ride for free with a valid SMC I.D.Card.
Must have activated mag stripe, and current semester and Associated Students ("AS") stickers.
The U-Pass Program is a reduced-fare transit pass for enrolled college students offering unlimited rides on Metro's rail and bus lines, and Big Blue Bus.
Questions on how to participate? We got you covered!
How do I sign up?
- Check the list of participating colleges below. If your school is listed, sign up online through your college website or in person at your college campus.
How much does it cost?
- Pricing varies depending on your college. Payment to participate is paid directly to your college instead of Big Blue Bus.
How does it work?
- Your college will issue you a U-Pass sticker embedded with a TAP computer chip that is placed directly on your college I.D.; no separate photo TAP card is required.
How long is it valid?
- The U-Pass is valid for the whole semester, including breaks.
Who can participate?
- Full- and part-time students can participate. Check with your college to determine your eligibility.
College campuses currently participating in the U-Pass Program. To download a program brochure click on the college of your choice:
- California State University, Los Angeles (Cal State LA)
- California State University, Northridge (CSUN)
- California State University, Long Beach (CSULB)
- City of Paramount residents who are college students
- Compton Community College
- El Camino College
- Los Angeles Community College District (LACCD) College Promise Program
- Los Angeles City College (LACC)
- Los Angeles Job Corp
- Los Angeles Mayor's Office of Economic Development (College Internship Program)
- Los Angeles Mission College
- Los Angeles Pierce College
- Los Angeles Trade Technical College (LATTC)
- Loyola Marymount University (LMU)
- Pasadena City College (PCC)
- Rio Hondo College
- University of Southern California (USC, Graduate Student Government)
The list of participating colleges is growing, so make sure to visit Metro's U-Pass Program website for updates.