Big Blue Bus offers real-time
bus arrival information! This offers our customers a convenient new tool for getting around town. Real-time arrival information can be accessed in a variety of ways:
- NextBus: Riders can access NextBus bus arrival predictions at bigbluebus.com/nextbus, on a smartphone, by texting, or even by phone.
- Google Maps for Mobile and Desktop: Within Google Transit, live bus departure times can be viewed by clicking on a blue bus stop icon. When planning a trip, the site will also report whether the bus is on time or not in the directions tab.
- Third Party applications. Big Blue Bus began opening its data in the GTFS-realtime standard on June 6, 2015, which made it possible for third party developers to incorporate BBB's trip updates and service alerts information. Some of these apps are available for both Android and iOS and we list below for your convenience:
Note: Big Blue Bus does not officially endorse, license, or warrant any of these applications--we allow our data to be used for greater customer convenience. For technical support, please contact the individual app developers. Interested in accessing our GTFS-realtime data? Click here.
Back To Top
Little Blue Book
Big Blue Bus publishes the Little Blue Book (PDF), which contains individual line schedules and maps. Paper copies include a large removable system map!
Find them while supplies last:
- On our buses
- Blue: The Transit Store. We are now located in a temporary trailer space at: (1334 5th St., Santa Monica),
- At libraries and senior centers in Santa Monica
- For purchase online
The Little Blue Book is designed to provide riders with the information they need at a glance. The printed version of the book is designed to be small but durable, making it a perfect addition to a backpack or work briefcase.
Back To Top
We offer riders the ability to plan trips through Google Transit! Google Transit is a part of Google Maps. With the help of Google Transit, even complicated trips can be planned out easily with just a few clicks.
Directions for using Google Transit:
- Begin by opening Google Maps on your computer, or download the free Google Maps app on your smartphone.
- Then, click or tap the directions icon, indicated with a blue arrow.
3. Next, click or tap the Transit icon, indicated by a bus logo.
4. Enter a starting point and destination. Many points of interest are already saved in the Google Maps system, so suggestions for popular locations may be provided as you type the locations in the appropriate fields.
5. After your origin and destination are entered into the system, Google Transit will display detailed, step-by-step directions for using transit to reach your destination. This information will include the next scheduled bus departure time as well as directions for any walking that is needed to complete your trip.
6. The schedule explorer feature also allows riders to customize aspects of their trip, such as the desired departure date and time, arrival date and time, and routing preferences (such as whether the fastest route, the route with the lowest number of transfers, or the route with minimal walking is preferred).
Alternatively, riders can click on a blue bus stop icon (visible when zooming in on the map) to see which routes stop there and upcoming vehicle arrival times.
Back To Top