Ensuring customer safety and well-being is the top priority for Big Blue Bus. The Customer Code of Conduct outlines expected behavior for anyone using Big Blue Bus services and the Mobility On-Demand Every Day (MODE) Program, and serves as a respectful reminder to treat customers and Big Blue Bus staff with consideration, patience, respect, and civility for the mutual safety and enjoyment of the transit system.
The following applies to all public and non-public areas of Big Blue Bus property:
- Animals must be transported in a fully enclosed and secure carrier (service animals are not subject to this rule).
- Purses, backpacks, and other similar items are not considered suitable animal carriers unless they are fully enclosed for animal transport.
- Handlers shall maintain control of their animals at all times. Animals that are not under the control of the handler or pose a threat to any BBB employees or customers are not allowed on Big Blue Bus property.
- Baggage, luggage, packages and other items cannot block the aisle or door. Single items may be placed on the front wheel well of the bus, and must be held firmly at all times.
- Obstructing or impeding the operation of a Big Blue Bus vehicle or interfering with the operation or use of transit services is prohibited.
Boarding, Exiting, and Seating
- Designated seats at the front of the bus are reserved for older adults and individuals with disabilities.
- Occupying more than one seat or placing feet on seats is prohibited.
- Ambulatory customers should exit the bus using the rear door.
Carts and Strollers
- Large carts, dollies, and strollers must be folded once on-board the bus, and may not block the aisle.
- Single and double strollers carrying a child do not need to be folded, however:
- The child must be restrained within the stroller using the stroller's seatbelt;
- The stroller must be in the securement area;
- The stroller must be in the control of the owner at all times; and
- The stroller wheels must be the locked position.
Civility, Compliance, and Cooperation
- Respect your operator, fellow passengers, and Big Blue Bus property.
- Refrain from using profanity or derogatory statements while on-board.
- Do not interrupt the operator while she/he is driving.
- Do not leave trash behind on the bus.
- Please note Big Blue Bus
is not responsible for lost items.
- Customers without a shirt, pants or skirt, or shoes will be denied service.
- The following acts are prohibited in, on, or in close proximity to Big Blue Bus property:
- Carrying any explosives, flammable liquids or materials, firearms, or toxic and/or hazardous materials.
- Spitting, urinating, or defecating in a Big Blue Bus vehicle or facility, except in a restroom.
- Inciting violence or posing a clear and present danger to others.
- Engaging in, soliciting sexual or lewd conduct of any nature, including any unwanted touching, sexual comments, or sexual assault.
- Defacing, vandalizing, or tampering with Big Blue Bus property.
- Customers must pay all applicable fares and fees upon boarding; failure to pay can result in a fine.
- Reduced fare customers must show proof of eligibility.
Food, Alcohol, Smoking, and Drugs
- Eating and drinking is prohibited in Big Blue Bus vehicles and facilities. Food and non-alcoholic beverages are allowed only in sealed containers.
- Smoking tobacco or marijuana products (including e-cigarettes) is not allowed on Big Blue Bus property, including bus stops within the City of Santa Monica. Smoking while at a bus stop is subject to citation.
- Customers under the influence of alcohol, drugs, or controlled substances may be denied service.
- Customers are prohibited from engaging in boisterous, unreasonably loud or otherwise disorderly conduct, including loud cell phone conversations and inappropriate use of audio devices.
- Entering a Big Blue Bus vehicle or facility with a weapon or instrument intended for use as a weapon is prohibited.
Wheeled Riding Devices
- Shared mobility scooters and bikes (i.e. Bird, Lime, Wheels, Jump, etc.) and gas-powered devices are NOT allowed on board.
- Personal folding electric scooters and bikes are allowed on board, if under 30" x 18" x 18" when folded.
- Cyclists are responsible for loading and unloading their own bicycles. Bicycles should not be locked to the bus bike rack. The bus bike rack can accommodate a tire width up to 3".
- Bicycles are transported at the owner's risk. Big Blue Bus is not responsible for lost, stolen, or damaged bicycles.
the full Customer Code of Conduct.