Your Late Night Connection to Expo
Beginning November 17, you will have a new option for late night, weekend connection to Expo. In addition to Yellow Cab Co., Big Blue Bus has partnered with Lyft to provide on-demand ride service to/from the 17th Street/SMC Expo Station, for just $3 every Friday and Saturday, from 8:00 pm to 3:00 am.
How it Works
Here's how to request a ride on-demand with Blue at Night, in just 3 easy steps:
Request a Ride on Lyft (beginning 11/17)
Request a Ride on Yellow Cab Co.
Download the "Lyft" mobile app from Google Play (Android) or the App Store (iPhone). Open the app during service hours (Friday - Saturday, 8pm - 3am). Tap your photo in the top left and enter promo code 17BLUE. Next, select 'Lyft' as your ride type.
Dial 877-611-8294 to request a cab during service hours (Friday - Saturday, 8pm - 3am).
Request a pickup from the 17th Street/SMC Station, to any location within the designated Santa Monica service area (see map). Wait at the Blue at Night pickup location at the 17th Street/SMC Station, located on eastbound Colorado Ave. and 17th St. (near the Breeze Bikeshare Station).
Request a pickup from any location within the Santa Monica service area (see map), to the 17th Street/SMC Station. Wait at your desired pickup location. Please note that Yellow Cab Co. and Lyft drivers will only wait 5-minutes from the time of arrival.
Arrive at your final destination. A $3 charge will be applied to your default payment method on the app (credit, debit, or prepaid card, PayPal, Apple Pay, or Android Pay). We hope you enjoy the ride!
Arrive at your final destination. Pay the Operator $3 with cash or credit card. We hope you enjoy the ride!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is Blue at Night?
- Blue at Night is a late night, on-demand ride service, connecting you to the 17th Street/SMC Expo Line Station.
2. How do I request a ride from Blue at Night?
- To request a ride on Lyft, open the app during service hours (Friday - Saturday, 8pm - 3am). Tap your photo in the top left and enter promo code 17BLUE. Next, select 'Lyft' as your ride type, enter your pickup and dropoff locations, and then tap 'Request Lyft.'
- To request a ride on Yellow Cab Co., simply call 877-611-8294 on Friday or Saturday evenings only (including holidays) from 8pm to 3am. Make sure to have your pickup or destination address ready when requesting a vehicle.
3. What is the designated service area?
4. How much does it cost?
- Each one-way trip (one origin and one destination) costs $3, within the designated Santa Monica service area, as long as the trip begins or ends at the 17th Street/SMC Station. Supplemental charges may apply, such as $3 for each additional stop within the designated Santa Monica service area. For trips with more than four (4) passengers, Yellow Cab Co. may charge $3 for each additional passenger (up to vehicle capacity).
- Yellow Cab Co. operators accept cash or credit card; exact cash is recommended, as operators only carry $5 change.
- Rides on Lyft will be automatically charged to the default payment method specified on the app (credit, debit, or prepaid card, PayPal, Apple Pay, or Android Pay).
5. What type of credit cards do you accept?
- Both Yellow Cab Co. and Lyft accept all major credit cards, including Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express. Additionally, Lyft accepts debit and prepaid cards, as well as PayPal, Apple Pay, and Android Pay.
6. Do I need to tip the driver?
- Tipping is not necessary.
7. Do I have to share the ride with any other passengers?
- You will never be asked to share your ride with strangers, and up to three (3) in your party may ride for the price of one (1). If there are more than four (4) passengers in your party, Yellow Cab may charge $3 for each additional passenger (up to vehicle capacity).
8. How long will the Yellow Cab Co. or Lyft driver wait for me?
- Yellow Cab Co. and Lyft drivers will only wait 5 minutes from time of arrival.
9. What is the time of your last pickup?
- The last pickup will be at 2:40am.
11. Do you accommodate wheelchairs?
- Wheelchair accessible vehicles are available upon request, through Yellow Cab Co. only.
12. I am traveling with children; do I need to provide a car seat or booster seat?
- Both Yellow Cab Co. and Lyft abide by California law, which states children under the age of eight (8) must be secured in a car seat or booster seat in the back seat. Yellow Cab Co. and Lyft vehicles are NOT equipped with a car seat or booster seat and you must bring your own. Children who are eight (8) years of age, or have reached 4' 9" in height, must be secured by a safety belt in the back seat.
13. Can I bring a pet on board a Yellow Cab Co. or Lyft vehicle?
- No. However, drivers are required by law to transport service animals.
14. Why must all trips begin or end at the 17th Street/SMC Station?
- Blue at Night was designed to provide late-night, first-last mile connections to the Expo Line, and it is the halfway point between the three Santa Monica Expo stations. Please note, Blue at Night does not serve the Downtown Santa Monica Station area, due to the availability of late-night bus service operated by both Big Blue Bus and Metro.
15. How do I contact the driver?
- While it is not possible to contact a Yellow Cab Co. operator, you can call 877-611-8294 if your pickup location has changed, or if there is an issue with the pickup.
- You can contact your Lyft driver directly, by placing a call or sending a text message through the app.
16. Can I make a reservation for a vehicle in advance?
- Unfortunately, reservations cannot be made for Blue at Night trips on Yellow Cab Co., however you can request a ride on-demand, by dialing 877-611-8294.
- Rides on Lyft can be scheduled up to 7 days in advance. Please note that scheduled rides can be canceled at any time, but you will be charged a $10 cancellation fee, should you cancel within 30-minutes of a driver's scheduled arrival.
17. Can I establish a recurring reservation for a vehicle?
18. Do drivers assist with luggage?
- Yes. However, they will only assist with small luggage.
19. Does Blue at Night offer door-to-door service?
- No. Blue at Night operators only offer curb-to-curb service.
20. I was not happy with the service, how do I file a report?
- For Yellow Cab Co., please dial 877-611-8294 to file a report; be sure to provide as much detail as possible.
- For Lyft, you can anonymously rate your driver through the app, based on their navigation, safety, cleanliness, and friendliness. Should you need to file a report with Lyft Customer Care, please dial 855-865-9553.
12. Is there a limit on the number of Blue at Night trips can take on Lyft or Yellow Cab Co.?
- You can take unlimited Blue at Night trips on Yellow Cab Co. during service hours.
- You can take up to twenty (20) Blue at Night trips on Lyft per month during service hours.