Several routes serve the campus, offering easy, convenient access from across the Westside and beyond.
Santa Monica High School is easily accessed by Big Blue Bus. Riding with us to school means less money spent on gas or stressing about traffic. Just get on the bus and relax with your music, social media, or friends.
Students are eligible for reduced-cost Big Blue Bus passes. While paper passes are still available for sale at The Vikes' Inn, students are encouraged to purchase their passes on youth TAP cards. The TAP system is used region-wide, and offers several useful features for riders. The Transit Access Pass (TAP) system allows for balance protection in case your card is lost or stolen and offers the ability to reload fares quickly and easily from your smartphone or computer. Customers using TAP are also able to board the bus much faster than those paying with cash or a paper pass, which means less waiting around at each stop for people to board and pay.
Here's how to get started:
1. Youth 18 and under should apply now for the special K-12 Student TAP Card. You can apply online or download a form to mail in. This specially marked, orange-colored card is your ticket to purchasing a discounted youth pass on Big Blue Bus, as well as a special $1 fare on Metro Buses payable with stored value or cash. Note: Because the TAP office may take 6-8 weeks to process the applications, it is important that applications are submitted as soon as possible to avoid delays. You will need to verify your eligibility in just one of the following ways:
- Copy of current report card
- Copy of current school ID
- Computer printout showing enrollment and/or school schedule
- Letter on school letterhead with original signature of school official.
2. After receiving your K-12 Student TAP Card in the mail, you can load Big Blue Bus youth discount passes, 13-ride passes, or stored value at the Transit Store or online at taptogo.net (note: it may take up to 48 hours for online pass orders to be loaded onto your TAP card)
3. Once your TAP card is loaded with a youth pass, simply tap your card on the validator when boarding the bus and listen for the beep. Enjoy the ride!
Trip Planning Help
For assistance with planning your trip to school, please visit our Trip Planning page. A map of routes serving the campus is available here.
Big Blue Bus now offers real-time bus arrival information! Access the NextBus system at home or on the go from your phone, smartphone, or computer. Now you'll know just when to leave home to meet your bus, or how much time you have after school to socialize with friends before you need to head home. More information about using the NextBus system is available here.