Big Blue Bus and WISE & Healthy Aging have partnered with Lyft to introduce Mobility On Demand Every Day (MODE), the City of Santa Monica's shared-ride service for older adults and persons with disabilities.
The MODE program provides members with greater options for freedom and mobility, by offering curb-to-curb, on-demand transportation, convenient payments, and much more.
For more information about the program, download the MODE brochure below.
- At least 60-years-old, or
- At least 18-years-old with a disability
Eligible participants must register with WISE & Healthy Aging prior to using MODE; see How to Register for more details.
Hours of Operation
Registered members can take trips on MODE seven (7) days a week, during the following hours:
Monday - Friday:
8:00am - 6:00pm
8:30am - 3:30pm
8:00am - 1:30pm
A one-way fare for MODE members traveling in either a Lyft or wheelchair vehicle is $0.50. Members may travel with up to three (3) companions at an additional cost of $0.50 each, or one (1) Personal Care Attendants for $0.25.
How to Pay Your Fare
Credit, Debit & Prepaid Cards
Payments can be made through your Lyft account, with either a credit, debit, or prepaid card; your card will automatically be charged $0.50 after each eligible ride.
Cash, Checks, & Card Payments
Wheelchair and door-through-door members may pay for eligible rides in advance by cash, check, or credit card at Blue: The Transit Store only; see Passenger Accessibility for more details.
Trips taken within the Santa Monica city limits during hours of operation, as well as select shopping destinations on Lincoln Blvd. in Venice (99 Cents Only Store, Whole Foods, Smart & Final, Ralph's, Rite Aid, and Ross Dress for Less), qualify for MODE. Access to the following medical facilities will also be permitted at all times during hours of operation:
- UCLA Medical Center
- Kaiser Medical Centers in West Los Angeles and Culver City/Marina del Rey
- The West Los Angeles V.A. Medical Center
MODE also offers twice monthly shopping trips and other excursions, available by reservation only. Please phone the MODE Call Center for dates and availability.
Get Started With MODE
To be eligible for the MODE program, you must register at a MODE orientation session. For details on upcoming sessions, please contact WISE & Healthy Aging at 310.394.9871.
Monthly orientation sessions will be held at the Ken Edwards Center (1527 4th St., Santa Monica, CA, 90401); caregivers and relatives are encouraged to attend. For more information, please call WISE & Healthy Aging at 310.394.9871.
Please be sure to bring the following to the MODE orientation session:
- Valid government issued picture ID: State ID or driver's license, or passport.
- Proof of Santa Monica residency: Address on valid ID, gas or electric bill dated within three (3) months, or letter from the Housing Authority verifying assistance dated within one (1) year.
- Intended form of payment: Credit, debit, or prepaid card is preferred. Please bring check or cash ($5 minimum) to pre-pay for rides on the wheelchair van.
- Your fully charged iPhone or Android smartphone device if you have one.
- Completed MODE application (below).
Download the MODE program application | English
Follow the steps below to request a ride using Lyft's app or website:
Using the Lyft App
Using A Computer or Mobile Browser
- If you are using a smartphone:
- Download the Lyft app
- Complete a one-time verification of your smartphone device
- If you are using a computer or mobile browser:
- Visit Lyft's website here
- Verify your mobile phone number and identity
- Enter your payment information (credit, debit, or prepaid card)
- Set your 'Pick up' location
- Set you your 'Destination'
- Select 'Request Lyft'
- Wait for the Lyft driver to arrive
- Enjoy your ride!
Download our MODE Quick Guide for detailed instructions on how to use Lyft on a smartphone, computer, or mobile browser.
Download MODE Quick Guide | English
Please note: Members without a smartphone, computer, or credit, debit, or prepaid card, can phone the MODE Call Center (310.458.6633) to schedule a pickup.
Wheelchair and door-through-door members may phone the MODE Call Center (310.458.6633) to schedule same day pickup in a wheelchair van, or make a reservation in advance.* Reservations must be made one to seven days prior to the date of travel. All reservations are booked on a first-call, first-served basis, regardless of trip purpose.
*Please note: Saturday and Sunday trips are available by reservation only, and must be reserved at least two days in advance.
Payment for wheelchair or door-through-door trips can be made in advance by cash, check, or credit card ($5.00 minimum deposit) at Blue: The Transit Store only.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is Lyft?
Lyft is an on-demand ride service that matches you with a nearby driver who will pick you up and take you to your destination. Rides are requested using the Lyft mobile app for iPhone and Android smartphones, or online with a Lyft account.
- Can I use my existing Lyft account on MODE?
Yes. Please provide the email address and phone number associated with your existing Lyft account where indicated on the MODE application (enclosed); a discount code will be applied to your Lyft account within five (5) business days of your completed registration for MODE.
- I have a credit card, debit, or prepaid card, but do not have access to a smartphone. Can I still request a ride on Lyft?
Yes. Members unable to use the Lyft mobile app can instead request rides online. Simply visit ride.lyft.com on your computer or mobile browser to request a ride. Please note that you must have a mobile phone capable of receiving text messages to request rides online.
- I do not have access to a smartphone or credit, debit, or prepaid card. Can I still request a ride on Lyft?
Yes. Members without a computer or smartphone must phone the MODE Call Center to schedule a pickup, and may pay for rides in advance by check, cash, or credit card ($5.00 minimum).
Please make deposits in-person at Blue: The Transit Store (1334 5thSt., Santa Monica CA, 90401).
- Can others request Lyft rides for me?
Yes. Caregivers and relatives with access to your Lyft account can request rides for you online, by visiting ride.lyft.com. Please note that you must have a mobile phone capable of receiving text messages in order for them to request your ride online.
- Can I use my Lyft account to go somewhere else?
Yes, but you will be charged regular Lyft rates if you travel outside of the times and places specified in the MODE program. If you have any questions about a specific trip and if it is eligible for a $0.50 fare, please call WISE & Healthy Aging at 310.394.9871.
- Can I request a MODE ride on Lyft Line or Lyft Plus?
Not right now. Only rides taken on Lyft qualify for the MODE program. When using the Lyft app or website, be sure to select the Lyft ride type when requesting a ride (as shown below). You will be charged full fare for trips taken on any other ride type.
For more frequently asked questions, download the MODE FAQ below.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please contact WISE & Healthy Aging at 310.394.9871.