SANTA MONICA, CA - Big Blue Bus (BBB) will be honored by the American Planning Association Los Angeles Chapter (APA LA) for its implementation of the Evolution of Blue Plan. The Evolution of Blue Plan restructured BBB service around the arrival of the Expo Line in its service area.
The award is given to a planning effort that demonstrates a significant project accomplishing positive changes as a result of outstanding planning work in the Los Angeles region. To be eligible, projects must be completed within three years by a jurisdiction with a population of less than 100,000. The award recognizes best practices as well as thought-leaders in the planning arena creating more livable, vibrant, and inclusive communities.
"Evolution of Blue was an unprecedented effort requiring staff to plan, train, and communicate with the public and stakeholders, and finally to implement an 18-month comprehensive set of service changes to the BBB system. It was all hands on deck during the project with every BBB employee serving as a customer experience ambassador. The high levels of customer engagement and employee participation were integral in re-designing and re-envisioning the future of our bus system," said Ed King, Director of Transit Services.
The Evolution of Blue Plan, adopted by the City Council in April 2015, was completed by BBB in conjunction with Nelson Nygaard Consulting. The plan featured extensive research and community engagement resulting in the:
- Introduction of six new bus routes
- Addition of 47 directional route miles of new service
- Creation of first-last mile improvements improving connectivity to jobs and services
- Integration to all seven new Expo Line Phase II stations
- Launch of Blue at Night an on-demand service providing first-last mile connections to Expo on weekend nights
- Construction of over 230 new ADA accessible bus stops
- Implementation of new bus stop spacing standards for faster travel speed
- Collection of over 12,000 public comments and over 4,600 survey responses during the multiphase outreach process
About the Big Blue Bus
Big Blue Bus operates a fleet of 200 vehicles transporting more than 54,000 customers daily across a 58 square mile service area. Nationally recognized for its long-standing commitment to a cleaner environment, the entire fleet operates on alternative fuels, including renewable natural gas (RNG), a form of liquefied and compressed natural gas (LNG/CNG), which helps cut emissions by up to 90 percent. Serving Santa Monica and the Los Angeles area since 1928, Big Blue Bus has won numerous awards for its marketing, customer service, safety, and efficiency.