On June 22, 2022, Big Blue Bus will introduce the following fare changes to help speed up boarding and travel time, maintain health and safety improvements on board, and re-align fare products with customer preference:
- New 10 Rides Pass for $9 - Regular, $4.50 - Senior/Disabled/Medicare
- Free transfers on Big Blue Bus within two (2) hours for one-way trips
- Permanently reduce the Youth 30-Day Pass price to $19
- Free rides for children 5 years old and younger
- Resumption of cash fare payments on board
- No longer accept Big Blue Bus paper passes and tokens
- Discontinue 13 Ride Pass sales (Big Blue Bus will continue to accept 13 Rides Passes on board)
Lea un resumen de los cambios en español.
Save with Contactless Fare Payments
Customers making contactless fare payments with a TAP card or mobile ticket can ride Big Blue Bus for just $1.10 - Regular, or $0.50 - Senior/Disabled/Medicare. Contactless fare payments also include 2 hours of free transfers on Big Blue Bus for one-way trips.
Customers paying with cash on board can ride for $1.25 - Regular, or $0.50 - Senior/Disabled/Medicare. Cash fare payments do not include free transfers on Big Blue Bus.
Note: On June 22, 2022, Big Blue Bus will discontinue the limited time, promotional Single Ride fare of $1 - Regular, and $0.40 - Senior/Disabled/Medicare.
TAP is a durable, reloadable card that can be used for seamless travel throughout LA County. It eliminates the need to carry cash and coins for transit trips, by offering a single, reusable card that works as your transit pass. TAP cards are secure and smart, and can be loaded with Stored Value for seamless travel on Big Blue Bus, and most other transit agencies in the LA region.
How to pay with TAP on Big Blue Bus
- Hold your TAP card near the validator as you board the bus.
- Wait for the green screen on the validator to verify your payment is valid.
- That's it - you're ready to ride!
- Need to board another Big Blue Bus to complete your trip? No problem! Your TAP card includes free transfers on Big Blue Bus for 2 hours. Simply repeat steps 1 and 2 above, and your next leg of travel is on us!
Learn more about going contactless on Big Blue Bus with TAP.
What's a Mobile Ticket?
A mobile ticket is a digital transit pass that can be purchased and activated on your smartphone. Currently, tickets can be purchased through Transit (our official app) and Token Transit - both are available for iOS and Android. Big Blue Bus Single Rides and passes can be purchased and activated in the app for immediate use, or stored for future trips.
How to pay with a mobile ticket on Big Blue Bus
- As the bus approaches, activate your mobile ticket in the app.
- Follow instructions in the app to validate your ticket using the validator on board, or by showing your ticket to the Operator.
- If using the validator, it will beep to verify your ticket is valid.
- You're finished - just grab a seat and enjoy your ride!
- Need to board another Big Blue Bus to complete your trip? Your mobile ticket includes free transfers on Big Blue Bus for two (2) hours. Simply repeat steps 2 and 3 above, and your next leg of travel is on us!
Learn more about going contactless on BBB with mobile tickets.
Exchanges for Paper Passes and Tokens
Customers may exchange tokens or paper passes for an equivalent pass product at Blue: The Transit Store (1444 4th Street, Santa Monica). Exchanges will be accepted beginning June 22 until September 30, 2022.