Need to ride more than one bus or train to reach your destination?
An interagency transfer allows you to board one (1) additional Metro Bus, Metro Rail, or most other regional bus lines. Transfers are valid for two hours from time issued.
Tips about Interagency Transfers:
- If your trip begins on Big Blue Bus, transfers can only be purchased when boarding.
- You must pay the transfer in cash.
- One paid base fare allows you to purchase one single-use transfer.
- Transfers are accepted as base fare only. They can’t be used to pay for another transfer or an upgrade fee, such as the Rapid 10 upgrade fee.
- After your transfer expires or you board a second bus, you must pay another base fare if you want to ride yet another bus.
- Altered or damaged transfers will not be accepted.
What transfers are accepted from other transit services?
Big Blue Bus accepts valid Interagency Transfers from any municipal transit system, Metro Bus and Metro Rail that intersects with any Big Blue Bus route, under the following conditions:
- From Metro Rail: We require and accept either an interagency paper ticket that reads "Metro to Muni" OR an "E-transfer" loaded on your TAP card.
- From a Metro Bus: We require and accept a paper transfer that reads "Metro to Muni."
- From other transit agencies: We accept a transfer as long as it shows the word “IAT” and it has not been expired.
- BBB does not accept Culver City Bus local transfers or Metrolink passes as valid form of payment.
*Note: Big Blue Bus does not offer transfers from one BBB to another BBB.
Here's how it works:
Big Blue Bus to Metro Rail (includes the Expo Line, Green Line, Red Line, Purple Line, etc.): Ask the Big Blue Bus Operator for a "Metro Rail" transfer when boarding. The cost is $0.50 cents or $0.25 cents for S/D/M cash. You will receive a special TAP-enabled transfer that you will need to tap on the validator/turnstile when you arrive at the train station. This allows you to get through the turnstiles and looks like this:
Big Blue Bus to Metro Bus/Municipal Bus: Ask the Big Blue Bus Operator for an "Interagency Transfer" when boarding. The cost is $0.50 cents or $0.25 cents for S/D/M cash. You will receive a paper transfer that you will need to show the Operator on the next leg of your trip.
Metro Rail to Big Blue Bus:
- If paying with Stored Value on a TAP card, purchase an "E-Transfer" for $0.50 cents or $0.25 cents for S/D/M at one of the station ticket vending machines (TVMs) after you exit the train, and it will be loaded directly on your TAP card. When boarding Big Blue Bus, simply tap your card on the validator to use the transfer.
Note: S/D/M customers must have a Senior, Disabled, or ACCESS TAP card in order to enjoy the reduced fare. If you quality for a reduced fare TAP card, apply on taptogo.net or call 866-827-8646 to request an application.
- If paying with cash, purchase a "Metro-to-Muni transfer" for $0.50 cents or $0.25 cents for S/D/M at one of the station ticket vending machines (TVMs) after you exit the train. The TVM will dispense a paper transfer that you present to the Big Blue Bus Operator when boarding.